Pages

Monday 16 June 2014

My record butterfly count at Solam

What a glorious day for a welly walk! I was very nearly tempted to eschew the wellies in favour of, well, flip-flops. I discussed the pros and cons of such flimsy footwear with my India-residing walkers, Julie and Dan, who, perhaps by the end of the walk had the upper edge on me with their sturdy walking boots. But such dry conditions are rare on Islay and I'd still rate it a welly factor 2, maybe 3!

I'm not sure if I've ever seen as many species of butterfly in one day before; I don't think so. They were everywhere - heralding the arrival, perhaps of a scorching summer. When I asked Julie if she'd taken enough photographs of a butterfly dance between Marsh Fritillaries, Small Heaths and Dark Green Fritillaries,she said 'Well, I could probably sit here and photograph the butterflies all day!' It was a lovely response.It was a joy to be able to take this couple (who are missing Scotland just ever so slightly) on such a nature-filled to overflowing walk on what must be the hottest day of the year so far!

BIRDS
Raven, Willow Warbler, Wren, Robin, Blue Tit, Buzzard, Sedge Warbler, Blackbird

FLORA
Round-leaved Sundew, Butterwort, Tormentil, Yellow Pimpernel, Heath Speedwell, Heath Bedstraw, Lousewort, Marsh Lousewort, Oak, Willow, Cross-leaved Heath, Bell Heather, Cow Wheat, Burnet Rose, Bog Myrtle, Milkwort, Spear Thistle, Marsh Thistle, Creeping Thistle, Daisy, Lesser Spearwort, Eyebright, Meadow Buttercup, Flag Iris, Heath-spotted Orchid, Ragged Robin, Bracken, White Clover, Common Cottongrass, Hare's-tail, Cuckoo Flower

BUTTERFLIES AND MOTHS
Small Heath, Large Heath, Ringlet, Small Copper, Marsh Fritillary, Green-veined White, Speckled Wood, Dark Green Fritillary, Common Blue, Chimney Sweeper

DRAGONFLIES
Large Red Damselfly, Keeled Skimmer, Four-spotted Chaser, Golden-ringed Dragonfly

Burnet Rose

The carved face at Solam

Cow Wheat

Dark Green and Marsh Fritillaries share a Marsh Thistle

Keeled Skimmer

Ringlet

No comments:

Post a Comment